Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Saying Goodbye

In my short time at the rescue, I've already encountered what I believe will be the most difficult part - saying goodbye. It's difficult to be too sad, seeing as you know they're going to a loving home where they will be happy and cared for, but there's still a little tinge of sadness when you arrive at the rescue after a few days away and see their kennel empty, realizing you didn't get to properly say goodbye.

Chico the Chihuahua and I bonded over a morning outfit change before he left for an adoption event at the local Pet Emporium. It was quite a hilarious endeavor as I crouched on his kennel floor and tried sweater after sweater. He was obviously annoyed so after the second or third, I had to scratch his head and tell him what a good boy he was after every step.

Over the head - *scratch scratch* "What a good boy, Chico!"

One arm through - *scratch scratch* "Oh Cheeks*, you're so cute!"

Second arm through - *belly rub* "That's a good boy, Cheeks! But it looks like this one's a liiiiittle too snug!"
Chico - adopted!

Funnily enough, most of the little sweaters I tried to get on him were too tight! It was chilly out so he needed something, so eventually we settled on this little fleece jacket that was a little too big. The way it strapped around his belly caused him to pee on it if he didn't lift his leg high enough, but we decided we'd take that chance for the sake of him being warm!

Later on in the week I had the pleasure of taking him for a short walk - or what would be considered a lengthy walk when your legs are only two inches long. It made my heart melt to watch him bounce and leap like a little Spring lamb! Eventually, though, he tired out and didn't want to go any further. A fellow volunteer was walking a bigger dog, and we didn't want to have to stop, so I picked Chico up and carried him a little ways. He looked around with a straight neck and erect ears like he was a little god who should be carried all the time! We won't tell him that we realized he was afraid of his shadow as the sun started to shift and cast it on the ground right in front of him ;)

I'm definitely going to miss his tiny little whines when he wanted some attention and his excitable, loving nature, but I am so so happy that he's found the loving family he deserves!

Click here to see all of our animals currently available for adoption!


*My nickname for him

No comments:

Post a Comment