Monday, September 17, 2012

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

Gah! Sorry! I know, I know... WHERE HAVE I BEEN?! WHERE ARE THE CUTE PUPPIIIIEEEEESSS?!?! I apologize for not updating in so long. I figured I'd explain myself seeing as I'm still getting a bit of traffic.

I'm no longer volunteering at the animal rescue. It's a wonderful and honorable thing that every single person at the Friends of Michigan Animal Rescue does and I can't begin to describe how selfless these people are. It was a great privilege to work with them but I, unlike them, am not completely selfless. Eventually it became too difficult for me so I decided to stop.

I completely understand the point of the place - take in animals that are in need and find them loving homes. So it makes sense and is a great thing that FMAR has a pretty steady turnover rate. These animals are being cared for and adopted into homes where they will be loved and happy and never have to worry about being abandoned again. That's what we want!

It was such a blessing of a coincidence that I started volunteering right before FMAR received those eight puppies from the horrible breeding operation in Allegan County. They needed so much work and love that they were there for such a long time. Every time I went to the rescue I could count on my little Randy, Skeeter, Junior, Jasper, Mopsy, Cindi, Buttercup, and Greta being there. I'm a small dog kind of person so I grew so attached to all of them. I was with them from the very beginning, through their flea treatments, socialization, experiencing outside, and learning to walk on leashes. It was the best thing ever to see these little babies grow and learn and open up. It just makes your heart overflow.

But then they started finding homes. Such wonderful news for each and every one of them... but bad news for Sabrina. One by one they'd disappear each time I visited. In their place there would be a new cutie that I fell in love with, but then they would be gone in just a couple visits. Not many need the work the Allegan puppies needed, so they have no problems getting adopted right away. Going in to find my love from the last visit gone became too much for my heart to handle. I wanted to keep all of them! I wanted them all to come home with me so I could be the lucky one to love them forever!

Eventually it became too much, so I had to stop. Major kudos to the many people who can do that every day. You are amazing people bringing so much joy into the lives of many animals and people. Thank you!

But don't despair... this isn't the end of Yes, This is Dog! I plan on keeping up with this blog, so make sure to check back. It won't be completely centered around dogs, but I think it'll still be a good time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment