Friday, September 21, 2012

Nutella Crescent Rolls & Queso Blanco Dip

Did a couple pins this past weekend! Mike and I had a BBQ to go to so who do I consult for some delish grub to bring? Why, my buddy Pinterest of course.

I'll start out with the one that could have used some improvement. The BBQ hostess and I are Nutella fanatics, so of course I had to bring something Nutella related! And what's easier thaaaaan...


  • 1 8ct. pkg of crescent rolls
  • Jar of Nutella
  • 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
Omg easy.
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Open the crescent rolls (idk why but the *pop* always startles me!), separate them, and roll them out on a flat surface.
  2. Spread them generously with Nutella.
  3. Roll crescents per package directions, starting at the wide area and ending at the point.
  4. Place on lightly-greased baking sheet.
  5. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes, checking often after about 8 minutes.
  6. Done baking when golden brown; remove from oven and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

Super, super simple to make, but in the original recipe when she says to lather the Nutella on, she means it! I didn't bother checking our jar before grocery shopping so I wasn't working with a whole lot of Nutella. I didn't "lather" so much as I just "spread." They ended up being pretty tastey, but the bread-to-Nutella ratio was off... definitely needed more Nutella. They were kind of powdered sugar-topped crescent rolls with a hint of Nutella. Good to know for next time!!

My pride and joy of the weekend was an amazing dip. Mike and I frequent a particular Mexican restaurant in Ann Arbor and we always get queso blanco to have with the complimentary chips and salsa. We love it so much that we usually order the same small meal each time - what we've dubbed the "Mike & Sabrina Special." Mike will get one hard shell beef taco and one soft shell beef taco, and I'll get the same thing just without lettuce. Oooh the warm, soft shell... the freshly shredded cheese... along with our queso blanco, it's absolute bliss!

So you know I've been searching for a queso dip recipe that wasn't too complicated! A little search on Pinterest and BAM! Up pops this one!

Let me start off by saying that the only crock-pot I have is a teeny tiny one that just plugs into the wall. Seriously. It only holds 16 ounces. No temperature gauge, nothing. I ended up halving the recipe because there was no way all of that cheese was going to fit!
  • 1 lb white American cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbs pickled jalapeño juice
  1. Cut cheese into chunks, put in crock-pot (the smaller the chunks, the quicker it'll melt).
  2. Add milk and jalapeño juice.
  3. Simmer until melted.
Source
I ended up forgetting to take any sort of photo but the one above basically looks exactly like how my dip turned out.

I'm sure you fellow domestic disasters are loving me right now, yeah? Seriously, how could this dip get any easier? It sounded too good to be true so I was sure it wasn't going to taste like the kind from the restaurant. But to my surprise (and excitement), I was wrong! It was uh-mazing!

I made it the night before the BBQ so I transferred it into some tupperware and refrigerated it. It was a solid block of cheese when I put it back in my little crock-pot after arriving at the party, so I added a tiny bit of extra milk, a little more jalapeño juice, and even cut up 2-3 slices of pickled jalapeños to give it a little more kick. It was fantastic. I'm soooo glad I purchased enough ingredients for a whole batch because the half batch was devoured at the BBQ. The following day I used the rest of the cheese and made a little pot for just my hunny and I ;)

BBQ View
Mike and I on the patio

No comments:

Post a Comment